Schlenner Wenner & Co. is a progressive, growth-oriented central Minnesota CPA firm looking for a like-minded individual to join its payroll department.
Job Title: Payroll Specialist
Location: St. Cloud, MN
Classification: Fulltime, Non-Exempt
Hours to be Worked: Approximately 40 hours per week; additional hours may be required during Quarterly and Year-End Filing (January, April, July, and October)
Reports To: Director of Payroll Services
Supervisory Responsibilities: No
Summary: A Payroll Specialist is responsible for the processing of client payrolls and associated taxes. This individual performs all duties connected to the processing of payrolls for the Firm’s clients using various software tools. The Payroll Specialist will provide exceptional customer service by responding in a timely manner to requests and questions regarding payroll, tax, and benefit deductions for all clients.
1. Accurately Process Payrolls
• Verify Fed/State liability, deposit Federal and State liabilities using EFTPS or other state online payment systems
• Create ACH files for direct deposit
• Send ACH files to the bank
• Maintain client information on payroll system
• Calculate child support and/or garnishments; communicate and confer with counties and law firms
• Generate Quarterly Payroll Tax Reports each quarter, both live and after the fact.
• Generate W-2’s and 1099s annually or as needed
• Fold, label and transfer printed checks to the clients
• Generate reports for clients
• Setup New Payroll Clients
• Sales Tax Reporting
• Prepare Worker’s Comp Reports
• Assist with IRS or State Tax Notices
2. Customer Service
• Build rapport with internal and external clients that exudes confidence and team spirit
• Communicate with payroll clients consistently to insure deadlines are met and work is completed in a timely manner
• Troubleshoot and professionally resolve client issues
• Assist staff at Reception area as backup by covering phones and assisting clients
• Assist staff with scanning and processing as a backup when Firm is busy or low in staff.
• Assist the Partners with any requests that are not covered.
• Ability to operate independently and “self manage” projects.
• Creative Problem Solver
• Highly organized
• Detail oriented
• Proficient oral and written communication skills
• Strong inter-personal skills: comfortable working as part of the team with all levels of authority
• Demonstrated ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure
• Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple and sometimes competing priorities
• Proficient in the use of the Internet and payroll related software, and common computer applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
• General understanding of QuickBooks or similar programs.
• Operate office machines such as 10 key calculator, fax, copier and multi-line phones
• Associates Degree with 2-4 years of experience in payroll processing for a medium to large company or related accounting experience
• Works during the Firm’s office hours, primarily Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
• Occasional travel to clients and/or events using a personal vehicle.
• Additional hours may be required during Quarterly and Year-End Filing deadlines.
• Works in a typical office setting.
• Noise level is moderately quiet
• PC and standard office equipment.
• Typically bends, stoops and crouches on a regular basis to file and/or adjust settings on computer and printers.
• Able to lift, carry or otherwise move and positions objects weighing up to 15 pounds occasionally when carrying files or office materials.
• Requires manual dexterity to operate computer keyboard, calculator, scan and copier machines, and other office equipment.
• Must have ability to sit for long periods of time while working on computer and doing office work. Stand-up desks are available.
• Intermittent use of personal vehicle to attend meetings and travel to clients.
• Occasional high stress.
All interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
Allison Bardson, HR Generalist
Schlenner Wenner & Co.
630 Roosevelt Rd, Suite 201
St. Cloud, MN 56301
Or an e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please call (320) 251-0286 and ask for Allison.
Schlenner Wenner & Co. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.